Harris Response to Trump Gutting Obama’s National Fuel Economy and Emissions Standards
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Kamala D. Harris (D-CA) released the following statement after the Trump administration announced its final rule to roll back Obama-era federal fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions standards. The Trump administration’s own analysis through the Environmental Protection Agency’s Science Advisory Board showed this isn’t a good deal for Americans.
“Hospitals are in desperate need of ventilators for people with respiratory illnesses, millions have applied for unemployment, and families across the nation are struggling to make ends meet. This administration’s own analysis has shown this is a bad deal for Americans. During this time of crisis, we should have every federal policy – including bold clean car standards – in place to make our air clean, create jobs, and save consumers money.”
Senator Harris has been a leader fighting for clean car standards and California’s unique waiver authority under the Clean Air Act.
- In January 2017, she pressed EPA Administrator nominee Pruitt on the California Waiver.
- In February 2017, she opposed the nomination of EPA Administrator Pruitt in part because of his position on the California Waiver.
- In March 2017, she called on EPA Administrator Pruitt to reverse his decision to roll back the clean car standards.
- In April 2018, she spoke out against EPA formal decision to weaken the clean car standards.
- In August 2018, she led a resolution to protect the current clean car standards.
- In February 2019, she called out the Trump administration for walking away from negotiations with California.
- In September 2019, she reintroduced the resolution to protect the clean car standards.
- In September 2019, she called for a DOJ IG investigation into the Justice Department’s inquiry into automakers work with California.
Next Article Previous Article